Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Couponing to Disney World

Several months ago I decided I was going to coupon my way to Disney World. Unfortunately, my commitment has been less than stellar. Sigh.

It all started because Nate said we couldn't take a trip to Disney World until E is at least 5 years old. What the what. Five years is a looooong time to wait...for me. I begrudgingly agreed to his terms and decided that if we're going to wait five years for this trip, it's going to be one hell of a Disney experience.

Enter coupons.

I've been actively using coupons for about three years now. I got caught up in the deals when we were living in Arizona and I've tried to keep using them here in Texas (much more difficult with the stores here). For those that are hesitant to use coupons, I get it. First, it can be complicated depending on what types of coupons you're using and where you're shopping. And second, you have to check your ego at the door. Using coupons seems to have a negative stigma attached to it and you really have to accept it or overlook it. The thing about coupons is that it's not a discount, it's a form of currency. You use coupons to pay for items (discounts happen before your total, coupons happen after your total). Get it? If you can get past these two things, you're golden. Trust me, using coupons is well worth the effort it takes to clip them, print them, sort them, and so on.

I've saved loads of money using coupons the past few years and normally the savings stay in our bank account, but no more. I decided that every time I saved money at the store, I'd take that much cash out and put it in my Disney fund. If I can save $20 a month for the next 5 years that's $1,200. And $20 is conservative. I bet I could save at least $2,400 if not more.

The problem I've run into - and maybe this is why Nate agreed to my little scheme - is that I never have cash on me. And I never pull cash out of the ATM unless it's a special occasion (my hairstylist only takes cash, for example). So even though I'm saving lots of money, it's not making its way into the Disney jar.

I need to recommit myself to putting cash in there and doing it regularly. I started keeping a tab, but when you have to pull $100 out at one time it hurts more than pulling out $20 here and there. I need to focus!

Does anyone else use coupons to save for bigger purchases? Or am I the only one?

Cheers,
Jen

2 comments:

  1. You know - I was thinking about you and coupons the other day. I'd like to use them, I have no shame, but I don't really "get" them. I know there is a HUGE game you can play, but I don't have time for all of that. I also don't buy a lot of processed food, which most of the coupons are for. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true. A lot of the coupons are for processed food. It's rare that I find any for fresh food (unless it's for a specific store - Whole Foods, Safeway, HEB, etc). If I were you, I'd focus on household/personal care items (laundry detergent, cleaners, toothpaste, shampoo, etc). Do you ever print coupons online? Coupons.com is a good one to check before you head to the store. I also follow several different coupon blogs and they usually write everything out step by step for their deals. I would check out totallytarget.com (Target is great for coupons because you can use a Target coupon, manufacturer coupon and cartwheel for each item - a triple stack!), hip2save.com and thekrazycouponlady.com (she's great for the basics). Let me know if you have any specific questions. Once you get into a rhythm, it's fairly easy to maintain :)

    ReplyDelete