Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Frosting Wars: There can be only one


The other day Nate was cleaning out the pantry (awesome, right?) and he found some heart-shaped cookie cutters I bought last year at a clearance sale. Since they were brand new and in the original packaging he asked if he could throw them out. Wait, what? Obviously, they were hidden and subsequently forgotten about in the pantry for a reason.

And I've decided their purpose in life is to facilitate frosting wars.



I started with my aunt's cut out cookie recipe. It's not your typical sugar cookie so if you're a traditionalist, this cookie probably isn't for you. I prefer them because they aren't super sweet, which means I can eat more in one sitting and not feel sick. Don't judge me.

Normally, I keep it low frills and throw some sprinkles on the cookies before I bake them. But frosting wars is special so I made the cookies completely naked. The following picture is NSFW.

I decided to use the base frosting I normally use with eggnog log cookies minus the rum. Instead, I separated the base frosting into four bowls where they'd receive a bit of color and a lot of flavor.

In bowl number one, we have plain Jane vanilla.

In bowl number two, green peppermint.

In bowl number three, purple rum.

In bowl number four, pink cinnamon.


After a rigorous taste-testing where I sampled several cookies of each flavor, I decided there could be only one winner.

My mouth.

No seriously, I really enjoyed each of the different flavors. I thought I'd be overpowered by certain ones (mint, anyone?), but they were all subtle enough that you could taste them, but not be put off by them.

If I had to rank them, with number one being my favorite, it would look something like this:

1. Cinnamon
2. Peppermint
3. Rum
4. Vanilla

If you're interested in trying the cookies or frosting, I've included the recipes below.

Cheers!
Jen

Aunt Patsy's Cut Out Cookies
Ingredients:
2.5 cups flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 Tbsp. milk

Directions:
Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla. Add egg and milk. Add dry ingredients. Roll out the dough on a floured surface.  Use cookie cutters to cut out dough. Place on parchment paper on cookie sheets. Brush with egg whites and top with sprinkles if desired. Bake at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes. After cookies have cooled, add icing.

Frosting
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
2 Tbsp. light cream

Directions:
Cream butter with vanilla extract. Blend in confectioner's sugar and light cream. Beat until light and creamy. Spread on cooled cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment