Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Got frozen bananas? Make banana bread!


This is a total slacker post. E is sick (another ear infection, poor little guy) but rather than skip another day of blogging I thought I'd share a recipe worthy of the site (which isn't saying much because I eat sprinkles right out of the plastic shaker). 

Last week, Nate has a breakfast fundraiser at work and asked me to make banana bread. I'd never made banana bread before, but I had my Memaw's recipe so I figured I would give it a shot. The best part about it is that I finally used the black bananas that were sitting in our freezer. I'm terrible about throwing stuff away. Rather than get rid of bananas that are going bad, I throw them in the freezer to "use later." It's just, until last week, "later" never arrived. 

I was crazy busy the day I made the bread so I don't even have any before pictures (I warned you this was a slacker post). The only thing that threw me off was that the dough had a really strange texture most of the time. It was kind of like cookie dough and if you've ever made bread, you know it's more like a liquid (unless you're using yeast - totally different story). But fear not! Once you add the bananas, it has the right consistency. 


Also, if you use frozen bananas, make sure you let them defrost enough. I didn't and I had dough stick to the side of my bowl. On the flip side, don't let them defrost too much or you'll end up with a really nasty, slimy mess. My mom can't handle the slime, but it's so worth it.

Cheers,
Jen

Memaw's Banana Bread (click here for printable version) 
Ingredients:
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup chopped nuts
1 tsp. salt 
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 cups mashed bananas (about 5 medium bananas)

Directions:
Cream vegetable oil and sugar together. Beat well. Add eggs. Add remaining dry ingredients. Add bananas and nuts. Pour into two 9X5 bread pans and bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes. A toothpick should come out clean. 

No comments:

Post a Comment