Sunday, February 2, 2014

Superbowl Snacks: Shredded Deer Sandwiches


Nate was looking for recipes online the other day (I swear it's not indicative of my cooking) and came across a recipe for shredded elk sandwiches on Allrecipes.com. Being the awesome wife that I am, I picked up the ingredients we needed so we could try it out. I actually had to buy quite a few things, including liquid smoke. I guess that's not much of a household staple?



Yesterday, I took our roast out so it could start defrosting. Turns out what I thought was an elk roast was actually a deer roast. I think it'll still taste OK, but if it doesn't, I'm blaming the meat (not my skills). Also, does having a freezer full of elk and deer meat count as being crunchy? What if I told you Nate shot both animals? In my mind, that's considered living off the land, which by all counts IS crunchy...right?

Right, so basically you whisk together all of the ingredients, except for the meat and the buns. I opted out of the hot pepper sauce. Although looking back, I probably should've added it because I've had a wicked cold and that probably would've cleared up my nose. Blah.

Alright, it looks pretty gross at this point. The smell is also questionable. Side note: I don't recommend directly inhaling liquid smoke from the bottle. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

Better, right?

Make sure you cut your roast in half. 

Smother the roast with sauce and set the crockpot for 5 hours on high heat.

--- 5 hours later ---
Crockpot magic!

I also made a pan of buffalo cheese fries...which were way too spicy. 

Overall, I'd give the deer sandwiches a 3.5 out of 5. I'm not sure if they were spicy or if it was carried over from the fries. Also, you can really taste the liquid smoke so make sure you pick one you like (I think I chose mesquite). 

In other news, we're going through lots of tissues at our house. Not only are we all in various stages of illness, the Broncos are losing in a bad, bad way. Hoping Bruno Mars can bring them out of their funk!

Cheers,
Jen

Recipe straight from Allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard powder
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons celery salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 drops hot pepper sauce
1 (4 pound) elk roast, cut in half
10 hamburger buns, split
Directions:
1. Whisk together the ketchup, brown sugar, mustard powder, lemon juice, liquid smoke, onion powder, garlic powder, celery salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, and hot pepper sauce in a bowl. Place the elk roast into a large slow cooker, and pour the sauce overtop.
2. Cover, and cook on High until the meat shreds easily with a fork, about 5 hours. Shred, and serve on the hamburger buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment