Thursday, February 20, 2014

The easiest chicken tacos you'll ever make (and they're healthy!)

If you aren't using your slow cooker on a regular basis, you're missing out. Several years ago, I bought a slow cooker cookbook and while some of the recipes have been big misses, there have also been some pretty good hits. One of our favorites is for chicken tacos. Get ready to have your mind blown.

Step 1: Place your frozen (yes, you can use frozen chicken!) or thawed chicken into the slow cooker.


Step 2: Mix diced tomatoes, green chilies and taco seasoning together (corn is optional).





Step 3: Pour mixture over chicken.


Step 4: Set slow cooker.
Step 5: Enjoy!


Yeah, it's that easy. If you use a slow cooker liner, it's even easier. Also, I've started adding corn (either a can or leftovers from the night before) to our mix just to add some extra veggies. I think chopped bell peppers would taste good, too.

As it stands, the recipe is fairly healthy. What gets me are all the extras. We're big believers in adding flour tortillas, sour cream, cheese and guacamole. YUM.

The chicken is also really good for nachos the next day. If you make refried beans, throw those on the nachos, too.

The original recipe is below.

Cheers!
Jen

Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos (click here for a printable version)
Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts (frozen or thawed)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of diced green chilies
1 packet of taco seasoning
1 can of corn (optional)

Directions:
Place chicken in slow cooker. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken. Set slow cooker to low heat for eight hours. Shred with two forks and enjoy. Note: You'll probably want to drain some of the juice so your taco shells/tortillas don't get soggy. We use a slotted spoon.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. Do you think a can of rotel would work instead of tomato, chilies and seasoning? I think I will try total and cumin...will let you know. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I bet rotel would work as long as it's the bigger size. I didn't think about adding cumin. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! After I went with the rotel substitution I found my chilies in the cabinet. Oh well! At least we will know if its good. Will let you know after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Since I can't have most taco seasonings due to dairy and soy I used just salt, pepper and cumin. It was delicious!! Total worked fine. Plenty of "sauce" and flavor. Ben gobbled them up and we have leftovers for tomorrow. Thanks for the quick idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rotel...not total. Stupid autocorrect.

      Delete
    2. Nice! I'll have to remember that because I have a can of Rotel in the kitchen I need to use. It also freezes really well :)

      Delete