Sunday, March 2, 2014

8 ways to kill time while your kid sleeps in the car

On our way home from the grocery store today, E fell asleep about five minutes away from the house. This would've been ideal a month ago when he was still in his infant car seat, but now that he's in a convertible seat I can't move him without waking him up. Sigh. I considered parking in the garage and waiting him out, but then I'd have to turn the car off (so we wouldn't die) and it was way too cold to sit there without the heater on. So I did what lots of other parents do; I drove around until he woke up.

Unfortunately, it didn't take long to run out of things to do. I'm hoping if I share my list with you, you'll be able to add to it. Here we go:



Ways to entertain yourself while your child sleeps in the car:

1. Go through the drive-thru. Food would be my number one, wouldn't it? If nothing else, I'll go through the line and get an iced tea. Or if things are really working in my favor, I'll hit up Sonic because it's happy hour (a drink and a corn dog for $1? Yes, please!). Anyway, this is probably the most obvious option so let's keep it going.

2. Drop-off/pick-up dry cleaning. There are a handful of cleaners that have drive-thru service and this is the perfect time to take advantage of it.

3. Get cash. I never seem to have cash when I need it and that means lots of frantic trips to the ATM. Since you're already driving around aimlessly, you may as well stop and pick up some cash money.

4. Drop off/pick-up library books. Our library has a drive-thru drop-off service. I think you can also request books and pick them up at the window. I'd actually take advantage of this when E is awake because it's such a pain to get him in and out of his car seat for five minutes in the library (I go in with a mission).

5. Mail a letter. It doesn't seem like many people mail letters anymore. Or maybe I'm just not getting any. Whatever happened to fun mail? Better yet, maybe I'll start keeping note cards in the glove box. Then I can kill time writing a note AND mailing it. Plus, then someone else will be surprised with fun mail.

6. Get gas. Since E was asleep, I drove to Sam's because their gas is so inexpensive. No need to rush to the Chevron around the corner.

7. Call a friend. E usually sleeps through phone calls so I'll call my mom or sister or someone I haven't talked to in awhile and catch up.

8. Put it in park. When all else fails, drive to the park (or your driveway) and put it in park. Read a book, play on your phone, text a friend. What did people do when you couldn't bring technology with you everywhere you went?

And...that's it. I can't think of anything else. Can you?

Cheers,
Jen



No comments:

Post a Comment