Thursday, March 13, 2014

Diamonds are a girl's best friend

Today, we went to Austin to have my engagement ring fixed. It's been sitting in the safe for months because the center stone was loose and I was terrified it would fall out (apparently, diamonds can also shatter that way, what the what). Now that I think about it, I haven't worn my engagement ring in almost a year. After E was born, I was worried I would scratch him with it (it's a princess cut so it has pointy edges). But now I'm ready to wear it so I was super excited that we got it fixed today.

The jeweler told us that you should have your ring (or other diamond jewelry, I guess) appraised every couple of years for insurance purposes. We had my ring appraised when Nate bought it about five years ago, but it never occurred to me to get it appraised again. The jeweler told us that the price of diamonds has increased 30 percent in their store in just the last month. So if something happens to my ring, I would be up a creek for sure because the amount the ring is insured for wouldn't cover what it's worth today.

The jeweler said they could have my ring appraised for $100, but they'd have to send it off. Ugh. My Memaw always told me not to leave your diamonds with anyone because they could switch the stones on you and you'd never know. So now what? I've put in a call (OK, text) to my friend who used to work in the jewelry business. I'm hoping she has some sage advice for me (and I'll pass it along).

But overall, it was a good day. Quick trip to Austin, fixed ring, my diamonds are worth more money (cha-ching!) AND I splurged on an iced sugar cookie covered in sprinkles. 

Hoping your day just got a little richer, too! 

Cheers,
Jen


2 comments:

  1. I have been too scared to wear my ring for the past year as well, and finally went to have it resized a few weeks ago. I didn't even think to have it appraised, I'm going to need to get on that! -Shai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I found out about this a few weeks ago and still haven't had it appraised. Le sigh. It's always something, right?

      Delete