Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Vegetable Beef Soup - Dinner for 4, less than $10

When it's cold outside, all I want to do is sit around in my pajamas and drink hot tea. The last thing I want to do is stand in the cold kitchen and cook dinner - blah. So I love our old stand-by, vegetable beef (or deer) soup. It takes about 10 minutes of prep time and then it simmers all day. It makes the house smell amazing. Added bonus - it's less than $10 for dinner and could feed about four people (I'm guessing here. Nate and I can eat dinner, have leftovers the next day and still have some to freeze if that tells you anything).

Putting the soup together is beyond easy. First, brown your stew meat (we've been using deer) in a large pot. When it looks done, add two cans of tomato sauce. The tomato sauce is super important. We like Muir Glen's organic tomato sauce. This is your taste base so make sure you like the sauce before you put it in the soup pot. Next, add four cans of water. You can also add beef bouillon cubes for extra flavor (I'd say between two and four). Then add your veggies. I use a bag of frozen veggies (carrots, peas, green beans, corn), but you can use a can or leftovers - pretty much whatever you have on hand. Bring it to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. The longer it simmers, the better. Honestly, sometimes it tastes better the next day.



We also add egg noodles to our soup, but I wait to make those until we're ready to eat. Add some crusty bread or crackers and you're all set.

Stew meat - Ours came from the freezer, but I'd estimate about $3 in the store
Veggies - $1
Tomato sauce X2 - $2
Egg noodles - $1.25
Bread - I think a loaf of French bread runs about $1.99 at HEB, right?
Total: $9.24 for dinner (and depending how many are eating, leftovers the next day!)

I failed to take a picture until I was packing Nate's lunch. Womp womp. But you get the idea.


Anyone else have easy soup recipes they'd like to share? I love a good soup.

Cheers,
Jen

----

Vegetable Beef (or Deer) Soup (click here for printable version)
Ingredients:
1 pound stew meat - your choice
1 bag frozen veggies or can of veg-all
2-4 beef bouillon cubes
2 cans tomato sauce
4 cans water
Egg noodles (optional)

Directions:
Brown your stew meat in a large pot. When it's done, add both cans of tomato sauce and four cans of water. Add your beef bouillon and veggies. Bring it to a boil, then simmer all day. Cook egg noodles right before you're ready to eat and add them directly to your bowls (don't mix with the soup in case you have leftovers). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment