Thursday, July 10, 2014

Reinventing breakfast: Chia Pancakes

If you've been following my blog, you know that E has become a wicked picky eater (sigh). If he could eat ham at every meal he'd be one happy camper. I thought I had found a new option for breakfast with the oatmeal cups, but he's recently started turning his nose up at them (or rather, pushing it away with his hand and saying "ba", also known as "no"). However, he loves pancakes (who doesn't?) so I decided to make our recipe a bit healthier so I wouldn't feel so guilty about feeding it to him (it has to be better than bagels, right?).

First, start off with Heart Smart Bisquick. If you want to get really crunchy, you could make your own pancake base and keep it in a sealed container in the pantry. I'm not there yet (man, I love Bisquick), but let me know if you have a good recipe and maybe I'll try it out (maybe). So, 2 cups of Bisquick, 1 egg and 1 1/4 cups of almond milk (we prefer the vanilla almond milk).




Whisk everything together just until it's blended and then add the extras. I like to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, 1/4 cup of chia seeds and 1 tablespoon of golden flaxseed meal.


It's ready to go when it looks like this.


Pour the batter on the griddle (not required, but I don't know how I ever lived without one) using a 1/4 measuring cup. This recipe will make about 12 small pancakes. Also, the pancakes get a bit dense with all the extras so add more milk if you like a thinner, faster-cooking pancake.


Add your favorite syrup - although they're sweet enough to eat them plain - and enjoy!


Cheers,
Jen

Chia Pancakes (click here for printable version)
Ingredients:
2 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
1 1/4 cups vanilla almond milk
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract (I also use Mexican vanilla sometimes for a richer flavor)
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
1 tbsp wheat germ (I recently started adding this and it's awesome)

Directions:
Whisk together the Bisquick, egg and almond milk. Once blended, add the vanilla, chia seeds and flaxseed meal. Pour onto the griddle using a 1/4 measuring cup. Flip the pancakes when you see bubbles (usually about a minute or so in) and cook the other side. Enjoy with syrup or plain!

No comments:

Post a Comment