Friday, July 18, 2014

Stitch Fix: Spruce Up Your Wardrobe

Several weeks ago, I cleaned out my closet - when you look through your clothes and see college t-shirts, nursing tops and old work clothes you know you need a new wardrobe. Even Nate agreed that adding a few pieces here and there would spruce things up (hey, I have to attend his work events. I can't look raggedy and I can't wear the same thing every time). So as a reward for cleaning out my closet, I joined Stitch Fix.

A friend of mine (hey, Jenn!) had posted about her experience on Facebook a few times and she was so pleased with the service I wanted to give it a shot. If I had to describe it in five words, I'd say it's a personal shopper monthly subscription box. 

For $20 a month, a personal shopper takes your sizes and preferences and picks out boutique clothes and accessories that are trendy and fit your personal style. The stylist picks five items, puts them in a box and mails them to your door. You try on the five items, pick out the ones you want to keep and mail the rest back (within three days). If you choose an item, the $20 service fee is put toward the cost of that item. If you pick all five items, you get a discount. If you pick zero items, you're still stuck with the $20 service fee (hey, they have bills to pay too).

When I signed up they were so busy that I couldn't get my first box for six weeks. And much to my delight, my first box showed up yesterday! Here are a few photos. 

This would be perfect for a work event or even more casual with jeans.



Another blouse that could go either way.


I really liked this t-shirt (it looks like an expensive t-shirt), but it didn't look right on. 

Their best-selling slacks.

Skinny jeans. 

My stylist also sent cards that give you examples of how to pair the sent items with things you already have in your closet. They look like this: 


Here's the thing - you HAVE to try all of the pieces on. There were things in this box that I never would've picked up in a store, but when I tried them on I had second thoughts. This is great because it makes you step out of your comfort zone and find a new look (that looks great on you to boot). The main problem with this box was that the tops were all too big. An easily solved problem for next time. I also didn't care for the cropped slacks - something about the material - and surprisingly, I liked the skinny jeans. I opted to keep the jeans and send the rest back. 

Now if you're wondering how they decide what to send, it's really based on your personal preferences and how much you choose to share. You submit your sizes and select certain fashion photos as part of your profile. But you can also link your Pinterest fashion page and include notes. I mentioned in mine that I need casual clothes most of the time, but would also like some pieces to wear to work events. I think given the parameters that I set, the stylist did a pretty good job. There are some underlying issues like fit, but I think those are kinks that get worked out as you go along. After a couple of boxes, I think we'll hit our stride (which may be detrimental to our bank account so maybe the boxes shouldn't be too amazing). 

Anyway, if you're looking for a way to spruce up your wardrobe or to step outside the box and try something new, look no further. If you decide to try it out, please use my referral link. Full disclosure - I'll get a $25 credit when your first box is shipped. I like to look at it as putting in good karma points. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers!
Jen 


No comments:

Post a Comment