Sunday, September 21, 2014

Fill-in-the-gap meal: Homemade Pizza

I love fill-in-the-gap meals. These are my go-to recipes when a) I'm not sure what to make for dinner and b) when I really need to use up ingredients in my fridge before they go bad. For example, this week I bought six bell peppers, but only needed three for my tortilla roll-ups (way better than they sound). So I decided to make a homemade pizza to use up half of the bell peppers that were left.

I recommend the Muir Glen Organic Pizza Sauce. Only $1 at the commissary and tastes great.

We've tried lots of pizza doughs, but the Pillsbury one is currently our favorite. It requires a quick pre-bake in the oven. 

Pile on your toppings.



I added some fresh basil. Do you have a pair of herb scissors? You NEED a pair of these scissors. It makes shredding lettuce or cutting herbs ridiculously easy AND it's dishwasher-safe.

Finished product. YUM!

The reason this is one of my favorite fill-in-the-gap meals is because the possibilities are endless. You could use mushrooms, fruit, ham, different herbs, pesto - basically, you can use up whatever is sitting around in your fridge starting to go bad. As an added bonus, everyone likes pizza in our house, even our picky toddler (I think he may have eaten a bell pepper last night - I'm gonna call that a win). 

Happy pizza-making!

Cheers,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment