Thursday, November 20, 2014

DIY: Turkey Shirt


About a week ago, I realized that E didn't have a Thanksgiving shirt. Obviously, this isn't a necessity but when they're this young stores usually carry holiday-specific clothing. Besides, it's pretty cute. I didn't find much in his size locally so I went online to see what was on Etsy (talk about going down the rabbit hole). I found some really cute iron-on decals and embroidered shirts, but I didn't want to pay $15 plus for a shirt he'd only wear a couple of times. If I had thought of it in October at least he could've worn it for the entire month of November, right? Anyway, the iron-on idea got me to thinking. If I could iron something on a shirt, I could make it myself. This led to Pinterest, which is probably where I should've started my journey.

I found some cute handprint turkey shirts and decided to try and make one for E. Keep in mind that I don't sew. In fact, I think the only needle in the house is part of a travel sewing kit we got at a fancy hotel several years ago. This is a needle-free project.



First, get a bunch of fabric scraps together. My friend Jody (check out her work here) was nice enough to give me some of her scraps so I wouldn't have to buy any. Next, add Heat N Bond to the back using an iron. Finally, trace your child's handprint on the back of the Heat N Bond. I'd actually traced E's handprint onto a piece of construction paper and then traced that because I didn't start this project until he was asleep. Can you imagine a toddler around an ironing board and hot iron? That's an ER visit in the making, at least for us.

Right so I did six handprints. Also, you want to do three one way and then flip the hand and do three the other way. So when you spread the "feathers" behind your turkey the hands will mirror each other.

I ironed the hands one at a time. I would play with it to see what works best as far as colors go and how they lay (overlapping the whole way, fanning on each side). Of course, after I ironed them on I realized that you could see through the white parts of the fabric. Whoops. Let's call that a rookie mistake. Next I drew a turkey body, cut it out and ironed it onto the middle of all the handprints. You can print off templates online, but our printer was out of gray ink so I had to do mine free hand. 
Think fat bowling pin.

Next, I added a little strip of red and a beak.

I found this orange ribbon at Hobby Lobby and thought it looked perfect for turkey legs! I actually used the Heat N Bond for the legs, too. 

The very last step was adding two googly eyes using Liquid Stitch. 

Considering I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to the world of fabric I think it turned out pretty well. There are some things I would do differently next time (I would consider using solid fabrics), but overall I'm giving myself an A. I haven't washed it yet (but I did preshrink the fabric) and I'm hoping the smaller pieces stay attached. We'll see. 

Cheers!
Jen



No comments:

Post a Comment