Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Birthday Adventures....with a Toddler

As a December baby, my birthday usually isn't a big blowout party extravaganza. Maybe if it was the beginning of December, but mine falls two days after Christmas. Instead, my birthday week has become a week of presents and shopping (and who wouldn't want that?). First, I get amazing Christmas presents, then there's after Christmas shopping, birthday gifts and on New Year's day, it's the biggest shopping day of the year (more on this later). To my husband's credit, he has always tried to make my birthday extra special. Unfortunately for him, Murphy wasn't having it this year.

Everything started off really well with breakfast in bed (for me) and some quiet time to read my book. We're reading The Invention of Wings for our January book club book and it didn't take long for me to get wrapped up in the story. Later in the morning, I opened my birthday presents (why wait until dinner? Pssh.) and was truly spoiled this year. And believe it or not, my Stitch Fix box (check out the post here) showed up in time for my birthday!

And then things went south.

One of the gifts Nate got me was a Garmin Vivofit. One of those fitness bands you wear and it tracks your sleep and steps and all kinds of stuff. It connects to the computer so I tried to sync them only to find out my operating system is way out of date. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, least of all Nate. So I dutifully deleted all the crap on my desktop and freed up some space so we could upgrade the system. This led to a series of failures, lots of calls to Apple and eventually a trip to the Apple store in Austin. I thought all of my wedding, baby, and travel photos were gone forever. Of course, just that morning we were talking about copying everything to an external hard drive and putting it in the safe. Oh hello, Murphy. Needless to say I was in tears thinking everything was gone. It's my party and I'll cry if I want to...



So Nate calls Apple and the earliest appointment is 4:30 p.m. in Austin, which is more than an hour away for us. We make the drive out there and by 5:30 p.m. they've decided the hard drive needs to be replaced. They copy all of my files over (they could save them!) to an external hard drive and at 7 p.m. said we could leave to go eat. Yes, we had a toddler in the Apple store for 2 1/2 hours. And no, he didn't enjoy it. Although the iPad kids station did entertain him for about an hour. He also enjoyed taking all of their products off the wall and trying to open them. Why are the shelves so low in there? Whhhhhhyyyyyy?

Right so, all of the restaurants at The Domain are way too high end for us. Scratch that - way too high end to take E. There's no way he could hang at the steak house, especially at 7 p.m. at night. Instead, we found an Asian restaurant nearby and they had amazing food. I had orange peel chicken that actually tasted like orange peel instead of an artificial orange. E had noodles, which in hindsight, wasn't such a good idea. Don't get me wrong, he loves noodles, but he crammed way too many in his mouth at one point and failed to chew it all the way. Which of course, led to gagging, which in turn led to projectile vomiting all over himself, his heavy jacket he was standing on and the booth we were sitting in. Do you have a visual yet? Imagine noodles coming out of your child's mouth like brown worms and landing in wet puddles on everything, including the inside of the hood of his jacket. Awesome, right?

Luckily, I had just put a new set of emergency clothes in the trunk and he had a spare jacket. Of course, once we went into the bathroom to change all he wanted to do was hang out in the bathroom. Who wouldn't? I mean there are stall doors to slam, the dryer to play with, strangers' feet to look at...At that point, we basically inhaled any food that was left and hightailed it out of there.

Believe it or not, Apple called as soon as we got in the car to say my computer was ready. We drove over to the Domain, picked up my computer and hit the road. We got home around 10 p.m. E crashed hard on the drive home. Too much excitement, too late in the day. And you know, the worms.

In the end, my photos and documents were saved. I was able to sync my Garmin Vivofit to the computer. E survived the noodle incident (as did we). And I got some awesome birthday presents (isn't that what it's really about?). Oh right, and I got to spend the whole day with my two favorite people (correction - that's what it's really about). Overall, not a bad start to 31. Plus, Nate picked these beauties up the day before and everyone knows cupcakes = instant happiness.


Cheers,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment