Monday, December 1, 2014

DIY: Handprint Reindeer Shirts


Obviously, my new obsession is the stitch witchery known as Heat N Bond. Who knew you could make such cute clothes without a sewing machine? Plus, I can totally convince people I'm crafty now.

Since E's turkey shirt turned out so well, I decided to try my hand at reindeer shirts. Yep, plural. I made us matching shirts. I know half of you are probably rolling your eyes right now because you think it's super lame, but I'm pretty certain there's only a small window where E will actually wear matching shirts. I'm taking full advantage of it while I can.



I really wanted red baseball shirts, but couldn't find any because they're out of season. Instead, I settled for white long sleeve tees (40% off at Target right now). Then I went to Hobby Lobby and dug through their scraps pile. They had some brown fabric with white polka dots that I chose for the faces. They also had some holiday fabric, but I didn't see any I wanted so I chose the chevron print from the normal fabric section. I also bought holiday glitter pom poms and googly eyes (because, obviously).

After washing the fabric and t-shirts, I traced E's hands and found a reindeer face template I liked (there are lots of options online).


Next, I added Heat N Bond to my fabric scraps.


I traced the cut outs on the Heat N Bond side. 



Next, I ironed the pieces onto our shirts.


For E's shirt, I added a scarf. For mine, a bow. Add googly eyes and a glitter pom pom using Liquid Stitch and you've got a fun reindeer shirt!


We have a couple of holiday parties coming up this month so E will get to wear his shirt several times. I'll probably wear mine to our moms' group party and maybe on Christmas day. Definitely worth the couple of bucks it cost to make them!

Cheers,
Jen

PS - Thanks to my sister for helping me make them!

No comments:

Post a Comment