Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Review of Cards Against Humanity


Have you heard of the game Cards Against Humanity? I'd heard of it, but never played it until recently. Apparently, I'm a slow adopter since the card game officially came out in 2011. What's even more sad is that you can download the cards and print them off at home for free, which means I'm a slow adopter and slightly lazy. Womp womp.

Anyway, Nate gave me the card game as a birthday present and we played while my sister was in town. For those that are unfamiliar with the game, it's kind of like a twisted version of Apples to Apples. Everyone takes a turn playing a black card, which prompts a question (why did your last relationship end? I need _____ to get through the day). Everyone else plays a white card that answers said question/fills in the blank. However, the questions and answers are really warped so rather than seeing something like this:

Apples to Apples: "Scary"  Answers: "My high school prom" "My fridge" "J.Lo"

You'll see something like this:

CAH: "Why did your last relationship end?" Answers: "Michael Jackson" "Homeless people" "Herpes of the mouth"

Get it? The box clearly says it's a party game for horrible people so I can't fault them for false advertising. If you're in a room with people who require you to act in a PC manner, this is not the right time to whip out this game. In fact, unless I'm with family who won't disown me, or a friend of more than 10 years that shares deep dark secrets with me, I don't think I'd play this game at all because it makes you look horrible.

Because you aren't going to pick the most mild answer. Heck no! We play to win. So you're intentionally picking the most horrible answer. This game actually encourages you to compete to be the most twisted, awful, loathsome human being. A point my husband readily pointed out when I won. Mental note: It's not nice to gloat. In the future, win with dignity.

Overall, we had a good time playing the game. Some of it is just plain dumb, and other parts make you groan at how awful it is. I recommend playing it while drinking an alcoholic beverage. And again, be careful who sits at the table. When your friends decide to abandon you because they can't take a joke about Keanu Reeves and fiery poops don't say I didn't warn you.

Cheers,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment