Sunday, March 8, 2015

DIY: St. Patrick's Day Shirt Toddler Edition


One of the challenges I've recently run into is finding holiday attire for E. I can almost always find girls clothing, but boys are seriously lacking in the smaller holiday department, i.e. Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day. Part of the reason I'm in a bind is because E is wearing a 3T now. When it was 24 months and below it was much easier to find holiday options. Now he's in an in-between size. The babies have options and the school-aged kids have options. Or maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot. Or maybe it's because I can't bring myself to spend $30 on a shirt he's going to wear once - I'm looking at you Etsy vendors.

So I decided to make him a shirt for his St. Patrick's Day party. I didn't want to buy a lot of extras so the only thing I purchased was the actual shirt. I got his shirt at Target for $3. Everything else was out of my craft box or repurposed from something else.



There were only two shirt options: dark gray or white. I opted for gray (even though I think white would've been much cuter) for the simple reason that my son can't be trusted in a white shirt. In fact, he can't be trusted in most shirts as evidenced by the small mountain of clothes I attempted to get stain-free today. I digress.

I found some green ribbon left over from a gift box and some gold ribbon from a random Dollar Tree purchase. I decided to layer them and make suspenders on his shirt. My original idea was a big clover on the front and a clever saying on the back (pint sized Irish), but I was lured into the suspender world. If I knew then what I know now, I would've done the clover. Because layering ribbon with heat n bond was a real pain in the rear. If you decide to attempt this, make a note that your ribbon will shrink/shrivel up with the heat of the iron so you may want to start out with extra long pieces.




Once I got the suspenders on, I added clovers at the bottom to hide some of the fraying/shrink issues. On the back, I added an Irish owl (is that a thing?). I considered doing a clover on the back, but I ran across the owl and thought why not? When else am I going to use an Irish owl iron-on? Finally, I added a green bow tie on the front. Nate thought I should add buckles to the suspenders in the front, but by the time I finished the bow tie I was spent. It took FOREVER.




Overall, I'm happy with the way the shirt turned out (although I still think it would've been cuter in white - le sigh). But hey, you can't beat $3 for a holiday shirt.



And on a random note, this is my 100th blog post! I feel like I should pop open a bottle of champagne. Or have some cake. Or get a massage (you know, from being hunched over my laptop all the time. Think I could sell that to Nate? Hmm...).

Cheers!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment