Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Bloom Where You Are Planted


As most of you know, my family is getting ready to make another move. It's nothing unusual since we typically move every two to three years. And to be honest, I'm looking forward to a new adventure. I grew up moving all the time so this is my normal and I'm OK with it. What I didn't expect, however, was to make a group of friends here that I would be sad to leave.

Usually when we move somewhere new I make a couple of friends and that's who my social circle consists of until it's time to move again. Again, I'm totally OK with this. I've never been the type that needed a huge group of friends to be happy. Quality over quantity, right? But I have to say, I've been so blessed to be surrounded with so many amazing friends this time around.

When E was between 4-6 months old, I decided it was time to get out of the house and make "mom friends." And at first, it was a struggle. I'm a more reserved individual, which often means that making friends is a bit harder. But the more events I went to, the more I felt like I belonged. We started as strangers, bonded as mothers and are now friends. I mean, I have their phone numbers. In this era of social media, having someone's number is a legit form of friendship, right?

Anyway, we've been with the group for nearly a year and a half and the idea of leaving these great women and kiddos that I usually see a few times a week makes me really sad. Today was our hail and farewell event. I had a little something I wanted to say, but never got the opportunity. Mainly because my toddler was at Chuck E Cheese and would rather ride the jeep than sit there while the "official" part of the event was happening. It's probably for the best. As I was passing out gifts, someone asked why I had made them and I couldn't answer the question. I think I mumbled something and got confused and tried again and then got really emotional and started to cry and then she was getting teary and that was the end of that -- Let's be real here, it's much easier for me to express myself with words that are written on paper (at least in circumstances like this).

It's just so hard to explain. These women were there for me when I needed it the most. When I was struggling as a new mom and struggling with my toddler and struggling with tantrums/health issues/lack of sleep (basically, lots of struggling). The support and friendship within the group is amazing. The lack of judgement is refreshing. The fact that we all get along so well is astonishing because we've all heard about "mom group drama." Basically to sum it up, I'm really going to miss them.

I gave everyone a flower with the saying "bloom where you are planted" on it because it's the best piece of advice that I can give. Whenever we move somewhere new, we always make the best of the situation. I could be in the middle of nowhere Texas, but damn it, I'm going to find a way to have a good time. And that's what I want them to remember. That no matter where you end up, you can always find good people and good times. You'd be surprised how much having a positive outlook changes your experience. And if you're lucky enough to be part of a group like mine, it won't take much to make a difference.

I wish my fellow moms and tots the best of luck as they continue on with the group and with life in general. Remember, you are all beautiful, competent, loving, kind, generous, selfless, happy individuals and you just happen to be kick ass moms, too.

Cheers,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment