Wednesday, November 25, 2015

DIY Beer Advent Calendar


About a month ago, we were walking around Costco and I saw a beer advent calendar for sale. It was $50 for 24 German cans of beer. Which is probably a good deal, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much when I knew I could make my own for less.

So because I love my husband soooo much and wanted him to have his own treat this year, I decided to make him a beer calendar (and managed to do it for less than $50). I may or may not have also been highly motivated to get 'er done because I recently dropped my laptop and we'll have to pay for repairs. But mainly the love thing.

Side note - do you know how hard it is to write a blog post on a mini iPad? Let's not make this a habit.

Right so, I started off with this bin from Target for about $6. There were some more festive prints but this one looked the least girly to me. Pros - it holds exactly 24 bottles of beer, it's reusable and most importantly, it fits in our fridge. Because who wants warm beer?  ("Some beer is meant to be served warm" - you, "I know and it's gross. Don't pretend it's not" - me). Cons - the bottom is soft so it makes picking it up difficult. You may want to place it on a piece of wood or something in order to transfer it to the fridge.


As far as the beer is concerned, I got lucky. Our local grocery store sells singles and you can build your own six pack. I'd buy one every time I went to the store so the expense was spread out over time. Of course, if you opted to buy larger cases of the same type of beer you'd likely save even more money.


Ethan picked out the holiday tags in the Target dollar spot. And I had some leftover ribbon that I added to make it more festive. There are so many options when it comes to decorating it's easy to personalize this gift. Think football colors or movie quotes or specific holiday themes.

Voila! A beer advent calendar sure to impress - or at least please - your significant other, best friend, or even yourself (sometimes you have to treat yourself, right?).

Have you made one before? I want to see photos!

Cheers,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment